How Does Your Home Insurance Policy Cover Break Ins?

A break-in is a tragic, terrifying experience. Even if you are not home, it can make it very difficult for you to feel comfortable and safe. Your home insurance policy is there to help you with some or all of the financial loss. Let’s explore these ideas a little more closely.

Often, there are two types of coverage applicable to a break-in like this. Your agent will work with you to ensure you have proper support to get back on track after such an event.

Dwelling Coverage Home Insurance

During most break-ins, there is some level of damage to the home. It can be expensive to repair.

Dwelling coverage is a key part of most home insurance policies. It may help cover the cost of repairs. This includes any damage to windows, doors, or other structural components of the home. If someone breaks into the home by damaging a window, this policy may help pay for replacements.

Personal Property Coverage Home Insurance

A second component of most home insurance policies is property coverage. This helps to cover the cost of items stolen or damaged during the break-in.

It will cover the cost of repair, first, if possible. If a repair cannot happen, it may help cover some or all the cost of replacing the item. This includes items damaged and left in the home and those stolen from the property. If someone breaks into your home, damages your furniture and then steals a TV, your policy may help. It may cover the replacement of the TV and repairs to the furniture, for example.

How Much Home Insurance Is Available for a Break-In

The amount of coverage you have depends on your policy specifically. Everyone’s policy is different.

Dwelling coverage has a specific limit listed on your policy. In most cases, the damage from a break-in will not exceed value of your dwelling coverage.

However, personal property limits may have some difficulty. Most policies will cover 50 to 70 percent of the value of insurance on the property. Some items have a top value they will cover. For example, jewelry tends to have a maximum value of $1,000 to $2,000 per item.

It is important to work with the police department and your home insurance agent. Learn what steps you can take to make sure you receive the financial coverage owed to you after such an event takes place in your home.

FAQ’s About How Does Your Home Insurance Policy Cover Break Ins

What is covered under a standard home insurance policy for break-ins?

A standard home insurance policy typically covers stolen or damaged items resulting from a break-in, as well as any damage to the home itself.

What is not covered under a standard home insurance policy for break-ins?

A standard home insurance policy typically does not cover cash or other valuable items that are not explicitly listed on the policy.

What should I do if my home is broken into?

If your home is broken into, you should immediately call the police and then contact your insurance company to file a claim.

How can I prevent break-ins from happening in the first place?

To prevent break-ins, homeowners can take several steps, including installing a security system, using motion-sensor lights, and keeping their doors and windows locked at all times.

Will my insurance rates go up if I file a claim for a break-in?

Your insurance rates may go up if you file a claim for a break-in, but this will depend on your individual policy and insurance company.

What is replacement cost coverage?

Replacement cost coverage is an optional add-on to a standard home insurance policy that covers the full cost of replacing damaged or stolen items, rather than just their depreciated value.

What is actual cash value coverage?

Actual cash value coverage is the default coverage provided by most home insurance policies, which only covers the depreciated value of damaged or stolen items.

How can I make sure I have enough coverage for my valuables?

To ensure you have enough coverage for your valuables, you should create an inventory of your possessions and consider purchasing additional coverage for high-value items.

What is a deductible?

A deductible is the amount you must pay out of pocket before your insurance policy kicks in to cover the rest of the cost.

How can I lower my insurance premiums?

To lower your insurance premiums, you can consider increasing your deductible, bundling your home and auto insurance policies, and maintaining a good credit score.

Does homeowners insurance cover theft from garage?

Yes, homeowners insurance typically covers theft from your garage. However, the extent of coverage may vary depending on the specific policy you have. It is important to review your policy and speak with your insurance agent to understand the details of your coverage.

Some policies may have a separate limit for theft of items from your garage, while others may include it as part of your overall coverage for personal property. Additionally, there may be certain exclusions or limitations for high-value items such as jewelry or electronics.

In the event of a theft from your garage, it is important to file a police report and contact your insurance company as soon as possible. Your insurance company may require documentation such as receipts or appraisals for any stolen items.

Health Quote Request

Fill out the following form as completely as possible. Once you have completed the form, click the Submit button to send your information. Your request will be handled promptly.
Skip to content